Saturday, June 12, 2010

Kitchen cabinet clean-up

One of my favorite blogs is Young House Love.  I love the ideas they come up with and sometimes, they even inspire a DIY project of my own. 
This week they shared how they organized their kitchen cabinets and I was inspired.  After seeing their beautiful makeover, I was quite bummed to be coming home to this:

Yeah, everything is just kind of tossed around. It was all nice and neat at one point....ok, so it was neat the week we moved in and then it became a mess.  I pondered over how to whip that cabinet into shape this week and even rounded up some empty containers to use for storage.
Well, after about 15 minutes, the above mess turned into this:

A place for everything and everything in its place.  I was even able to use two of the empty containers I kept.  One holds toothpicks and the other holds my cake & cupcake stuff.  I'm so relieved now to open that cabinet every day.
But, I didn't stop there.  Our utensil drawer was also a disaster. I couldn't bring myself to take a picture of the before, but here's all the stuff.... 


 that was crammed into this little drawer.


After Dave vacuumed out the drawer for me, I found left over scrapbooking paper which he cut down to size for me.  I glued it all down and then got ready to organize this disaster.

 I used left over drawer organizers to hold our pens and then our miscellaneous stuff like glue, chapstick, etc. and moved our take-out menus to a cabinet.  I also got rid of a lot of unsharpened pencils and a ton of markers that were rolling around in this drawer for months.

I think this could work for us.  I'm very happy with the results and I just love the pop of color in the drawer too!

Enjoy your weekend! I know we are.  We're busy little bees cleaning and organizing.  Stay tuned for more!

1 comment:

Tamara said...

Great job, they both look clean and functional. Isn't it amazing how a little 15 minute job can totally change the way you feel when you look at something!