Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Attack of the DVD's

Our DVD collection has never been neat.  In our apartment my husband first had them in a rubbermaid drawer storage cart and then when I moved in, we bought a book case to store them.  Since we have so many movies neither of us was ever able to bring ourselves to put them in any kind of order.  What would be the point though? We're constantly adding new movies to our collection. 
When we moved into our current house, I had visions of alphabetizing the movies as we unloaded them, but in the chaos of moving, they were dumped on the floor and placed back into a bookcase quickly so we could move on to unload the next box.
In a year of yanking DVD's off the shelf to watch and haphazardly tossing them back on the shelves, and adding new DVD's of our favorite movies, this is what our shelf looks like.

Aren't you jealous of this beautiful mess?  And can I tell you that this bookshelf is out in the open.....for all to see....and faces our dining room....where our dinner guests have prime viewing of this. (sigh)
So, I finally decided, enough is enough.  I pulled out all the DVD's and organized them by genre and then alphabetized each genre. 
This was not an easy task.  My husband is more of a movie person than I am so about 75% of the movies we have are his and I had no clue what they were about.  I had to look up most of the movies on-line to see what genre they fit under.  What was supposed to be a quick project took a bit longer since I had to do some research on the movies.  But, it was worth it!
I assigned the bottom two shelves to hold our TV shows on DVD. I can't believe we have 12 seasons of the Simpsons, but we do!
So, without further ado, I bring you the organized movie shelf.

I was able to leave a little space in between each genre to allow for new DVD's that we add to our collection.  Although, I think we should hold off on some new movies since there were a few DVD's not even opened yet. 
Also, once I get the right sized tape for my label maker I hope to label each section.  There are about seven genre's total, so it is a little confusing.  On the up side, I hoping this will make us turn to our movie selection before running to the video store on rainy nights.

No comments: